Back Seat Romance
Saturday, September 25th, 2010

“The requirements of romantic love are difficult to satisfy
in the back seat of a Dodge Dart.”

Lisa Alther

I pulled this from my The Goddess Within mini-book. Seemed like a good jumpstart to a conversation. Agree or disagree? What constitutes romantic love?

The cliche would be chocolate and flowers. A slow, gentle wooing. I have to admit, I’ve never—not once—experienced that sort of love in my life. I think that’s due to my personality. I always preferred to be “handled”, if ya know what I mean. I tend to challenge guys. Even if they’ve been that romantic man with someone else, they’re the rough and ready guy for me, or they don’t last long.

What’s been your experience? What’s the most romantic thing that’s ever happened to you? By your definition!

7 comments to “Back Seat Romance”

1. Valerie
      · September 25th, 2010 at 2:00 pm · Link

My hubby is not much of a flower-giving guy, so when he does give me flowers it’s very special.

He always gave me flowers for each birth…the first time it was twelve red roses. So that’s eleven times I got flowers…hehe!!!

in Germany

· September 25th, 2010 at 4:28 pm · Link

11 times!? Eleven children? Whoa.

3. Diane Sadler
      · September 25th, 2010 at 6:41 pm · Link

We haven’t had a vacation together in quite a few years due to family and finances so a few weeks ago we did a spontaneous weekend trip, just the two of us, without telling our kids where we were going. It was great!

4. sue brandes
      · September 25th, 2010 at 9:07 pm · Link

I’m with you Delilah I have never experienced that kind of love in my life either. Been divorced for many years so have to buy my own dang flowers. LOL. Guess that’s why I love romance books. :mrgreen:

· September 26th, 2010 at 8:04 am · Link

Diane! Spontaneous can be fun! Bet you were grinning like kids with the excitement!

Sue! I can’t even think of flowers when I write a romance novel. Guess you really do write what you know.

6. Valerie
      · September 26th, 2010 at 10:17 am · Link

LOL, right Delilah.

in Germany

7. Rachel Firasek
      · September 26th, 2010 at 6:53 pm · Link

I think it’s funny when I hear others talking about Romance. My hubby is not your typical “romantic guy”, so when he tries his own twist on the subject, I stand up and pay attention. Flowers, nah. With three kids, our full time jobs, his fantasy football, and my writing, I’m just happy when he pulls over on the side of the road, and growls, “hey, baby, let’s get it on.” You gotta love a Texan. 😉