This coming weekend is the Victoria Day Weekend in Canada, or as we call it in my neck of the woods, the May Two-Four Weekend. It’s a statutory Federal holiday and the unofficial kickoff to the summer season. The holiday has been observed in Canada since at least 1845, originally falling on Victoria’s actual birthday (24 May 1819). Now it’s celebrated on the last Monday preceding May 25.
We call it the May Two-Four Weekend to refer both to Queen Victoria’s birthday, but a two-four is also how we refer to a twenty-four pack of beer, always a popular drink on the holiday weekend.
So how do we celebrate?
- A lot of folks go camping or to their cabins. I’ve seen snow on the holiday weekend, and I also went swimming one year. Yeah, the weather is unpredictable around here.
- Drinking. A lot of people will kick back and enjoy a few cold and alcoholic beverages.
- Grilling. Steaks or burgers or hotdogs…something, but food is essential.
- Campfire. It’s always a nice weekend to have a campfire on the beach. I haven’t done this in years but did a lot of it during my teenage years.
- Relax. It is a holiday after all, a three-day weekend to relax with family and friends, maybe curl up and read a good book.
And if you’re looking for something to read, why not check out the FORGOTTEN BROTHERHOOD series.
Who are the Forgotten Brotherhood? They’re a group of paranormal assassins, the misfits that other paranormal creatures fear. They aren’t the monsters lurking under the bed. They’re the ones that kill them.
They live by a strict code: Kill only those that truly deserve it and let their gods sort them out. Kill them before they kill you. Never, ever betray a fellow assassin.
Have a safe and wonderful holiday.
About the Author
N.J. Walters is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author who has always been a voracious reader, and now she spends her days writing novels of her own. Vampires, werewolves, dragons, assassins, time-travelers, seductive handymen, and next-door neighbors with smoldering good looks—all vie for her attention. It’s a tough life, but someone’s got to live it.
Visit me at:
Newsletter Sign Up: http://eepurl.com/gdblg5
Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/N.J.WaltersAuthor
I’m working. Sigh. At least I’m off on Tuesday. I highly recommend reading this series! Absolutely fantastic!
Glad you’re off on Tuesday, Mary. And thank you so much for recommending the Forgotten Brotherhood. 🙂